Plants toxic to animals
Pets love to chew on plants. Sometimes though, they eat inedible or even toxic plants!
Depending on their toxicity level, some plants can cause undesirable effects ranging from a simple ingestion/vomiting to coma and even death. In order to protect your pet, it is important to know which plants are toxic and should be out of their reach.
Once you know which plants are dangerous for your pet, make sure they are out of reach. Placing the plant on a table is not always enough though since cats can climb or jump and big dogs can reach it with their paws.
If you think your animal might have ingest or chew any part of a toxic plant, call your AnimaPlus veterinarian immediately. Do not try to treat the poisoning yourself. If the incident happens at night, do no wait for your usual clinic to open: contact an emergency veterinary center as soon as possible.
It is recommended to study trees, flowers and plants around your house to protect your pets if they go outside. If you are unable to identify a plant, contact your nurseryman.
Indoor plants toxic to animals
** The following list is not exhaustive. Some trees and outdoor plants that are generally not considered indoor plants can be brought indoor on special occasions. Some of these plants are listed below. Plants’ toxicity may vary from an animal to another. The amount and the part of the plant ingested can also influence the toxicity.
Candelabra Cactus/Crown of Thorns plants/Splendid Euphorbia
These plants belong to the euphorbia plant family. Leaves ingestion usually causes minor or moderate indigestion and may cause excessive salivation, vomiting and diarrhea.
Plants part of the arachnoid family cause local irritation due to the presence of oxalic acid salts in the plant. Eating roots, leaves and stems can irritate the inside of the mouth and cause excessive salivation and diarrhea.
Often used as a Christmas decoration, mistletoe can significantly irritate the digestive system and cause serious symptoms such as heart rate and temperature drop, respiratory issues, loss of balance and excessive thirst. Its ingestion can even cause convulsions, coma and death.
Although pretty, this plant contains a toxin similar to cyanide, a very fast-actin poison. The latter causes asphyxiation and other symptoms that usually appear very quickly. It can also lead to death.
This ornemental plant is very popular during the holiday season. Ingestion causes digestive disorders and nervous system depression. This plant has some components in common with chocolate, caffeine and theobromine.
Ingesting a small amount of this highly toxic plant can be deathly. All parts of the pink laurel are very toxic and can irritate the digestive system and cause vomiting, diarrhea, arrhythmia, apathy and death. Fresh leaves are bitter but faded or dead leaves have less pronounced taste; however they remain as toxic.
Ivy fruits and leaves can irritate the digestive system and cause diarrhea, respiratory problems and even coma and death.
Lillies (easter lily, tiger lily, asian lily, daylily and other lilies)
Lilies are a serious threat to animals. Eating a small amount of leaves can lead to serious health issues. Vomiting, apathy and loss of appetite are usually the first symptoms to appear after ingestion. This plan can also cause kidney failure and death in cats.
Other plants that are toxic to animals:
- Cherry laurel
- Black nightshade
- Lily of the valley
- Solanum pseudocapsicum