Feeding pets human food is not encouraged. However, accidents can happens: Fido might reach a plate with its paw, make it fall on the floor and devour its content, your little one might want to share his snack with your dog and your pet might find food thrown away on the ground during a walk in the park, etc.
Is it bad, doctor? It depends on the food your animal ingested… Some foods are toxics for our four-legged friends. Here are some food to avoid in dogs. In case of ingestion of one of these food by your animal, do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian.
FOODS TO AVOID
- Foods high in fat
- Chocolate (higher cacao content = higher toxicity)
- Lima beans
- High sugar fruits and vegetables
- Iceberg lettuce
- Fruit cores
- Sweet peas
- Grapes (both fresh and dried)
- Rhubarb (fruit and leave)
- All vegetables part of the Amaryllidaceae family : garlic, chive, shallot, green onions, all types of onions, leek, etc.)
- Xylitol (deadly sweetener)
* Please note : this list is not exhaustive. Other foods can be harmful to your pet. In case of doubt, ask your veterinarian.